Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Happy Birthday America!

Yesterday sure felt like Saturday.  Anytime Dad stays home on a weekday, my timing goes all wacky.  But it was a nice relaxing day.  We worked in the morning to get the house straight from the weekend, took the girls to lunch and to the pet store to look at the animals (mini "zoo" trip).  We weren't quite sure that there would be fireworks because of all the rain but by 8:30 it stopped so we headed out to Tanglewood for the show.  Dad bought a bunch of snacks since we thought we would be staying in the car (too muddy to sit in the grass).  But it wasn't as bad as we thought (lesson learned: always be prepared- bring something!)  We sat in the car for a while then on the hood of the car.  Thankfully friends from church, the Palmers, were there and had chairs.

I love fireworks and have ever since I was a little kid.  My parents always took me, so I wanted my kids to have the same love of this celebration (even in the bad weather, bugs and traffic).  It's always worth it to me to make the effort.  My favorite shows have been when a concert is played first. In Texas, the concert would end with Tcycofsky (the one with the cannons-I used to know the name).  It would always fill my heart and bring a tear to my eye.  One day I hope to take my children to one of those shows to help build their love of this country.


There were quite a few other people sitting on their cars as well.  Rachel has never liked fireworks, so I was so happy that she stayed through the whole thing (with tissues and fingers in her ears).  What a trooper!

 The following pics are taken from my new Mother's Day camera that has a fireworks setting (cool).  These were my best shots.

love this one

The finale...much better in person.. But just seconds before, Abi fell asleep in my lap. The show had started an hour late because of the weather so she had had enough. 
 I am so grateful for this wonderful country that we live in and for all the freedoms we enjoy.  May we always appreciate what we have and work hard to keep it that way.  Happy Birthday America!!


No comments:

Post a Comment

09 10