Saturday, May 7, 2016

Happy Mother's Day!!

I sure am grateful this Mother's Day to have my mom around.  The last two months have been filled with concern for her welfare.  She was feeling chest pains, so she went into the doctor to have it checked out.  Much to her and Dad's surprise, he didn't let her leave.  Instead he told her that he was admitting her into the hospital for quadruple bypass surgery as soon as a bed was available.


I know my parents were trying to protect me by telling me not to come until she was out of the hospital.  Surely none of us really knew what this all entailed, but we had an idea.  You see, her father and brother both had the same surgery, and eventually died of heart disease. But that was them, and this was us.  I was in a state of shock, when thankfully, my dear husband insisted that I leave right away and be there for the whole shebang.  He was right.  So we booked a flight and I was gone.  I sure am glad that I did!
ĵ


I had the privilege of being there for my parents in their time of need, 
which is something they have always done for me. 



I was able to witness my mom's strength, that I've so admired all my life, 
evident in her willingness to do the hard things that were asked of her.  
I loved seeing so many people love her.  Countless friends from church, the neighborhood, family, and others who know her reached out to her.  They visited, sent cards, flowers and called on a daily basis.  The young girls that she teaches at church even sent a huge banner wishing her to get well soon.  I thought I had taken a picture of it but it must have been deleted.


As scary as it was to have her go through such an ordeal, I never was really scared. It was hard to see her in pain but I had faith that God would take care of everything and he gave me peace.  I learned about faith from my mother.  She has been a pillar of faith throughout my life, even in the hospital.  She leaned on the Lord and He comforted her when she needed it.  And even through the poking and prodding of the nurses we were able to lift our spirits by watching General Conference of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.


From the generosity of my husband, family and friends, I was able to stay for two weeks.  My sister Julie and her son Chase overlapped at the end and was able to help out for the next week.  There are so many things that I learned from this experience, but I'll save those for another time.  
Today, I just want to celebrate the fact that my mom is still here and healthier than before.
She says her goal is to be here for Abby's college graduation which is in about 15 years.  I've no doubt that if she puts her mind to it, it will certainly happen.

Thanks Mom for being my example, friend, mother, and biggest fan!!
I love you!!
Happy Mother's Day!!


No comments:

Post a Comment

09 10