Thursday, August 20, 2015

We finished our Personal Progress!!


Bekah and I have accomplished something great!!  
We got our Young Women medallion necklace for completing our Personal Progress!!

In our church, the girls have a program of goals that creates good habits, teaches about making commitments & keeping them, strengthens families, and leads them to Christ.
They begin at the age of 12, work on it for possibly 6 years, and can finish any time up until they are 18 and graduated.  Seeing as that Bekah is going to college in a couple weeks means that she finished in the nick of time.  

Thankfully, they now encourage mothers to work along with their daughters so that they can earn it as well.  I was doubly blessed to be her leader at church too.  It was a true blessing to report to each other what we had been learning.  I loved watching her mature as true principles of work, service, love, and faith sunk deep in her heart.
We've worked really hard, especially this last year, to complete 48 "experiences" and 8 ten hour projects (adults only have to do 3).  Some would compare it to the work a scout goes through to get an eagle.

  I worked on my Personal Progress when I was a youth but never finished.  Then, about 20 years ago, I was a youth leader when all you had to do was be a leader for 2 years and they would give you the medallion (leadership is a lot of work!).  It was just my luck that I was released from that call 3 months before I could get it.  Now, I'm about to turn 50 and finally got my Young Women's medallion!!  Yea!!

I'm so grateful for this program that has blessed the lives of my older girls as well (they got their medallions too!)  Its so easy to let life just steam roll you.  But to have something that gives a focus on the good, purpose for improving, and meaning to life is truly invaluable.
I encourage our young women and their mothers to work together on their Personal Progress.  It will not only improve you but it will improve your relationship with eachother.
I'm going to start working for my "honor bee" now!!

Young Womanhood Recognition Medallion - a beautiful pendant for the girls who complete personal progress. A Church program to promote appreciation for womanhood.
Although I'm wearing a silver one, I want to trade it for a gold one.  Isn't it pretty?  For those who want to know, there is meaning behind all the symbols.  The Beehive, in front of the temple, symbolizes harmony, cooperation, and work and is used for the 12-13-yr-old girls. The Rose symbolizes love, faith, and purity and is used for the 14-15 yr-old girls.  The Laurel (leaves) is a symbol of honor and accomplishment used for the 16-17-yr-old girls who have finished a significant achievement of preparation for going to the temple to make sacred covenants or promises.  The image of the Salt Lake temple symbolizes any temple around the world that the girls may attend to make those sacred promises.  And the ruby is in reference to the scripture in Proverbs 31:10  
Who can find a virtuous woman? for her price is far above rubies.


No comments:

Post a Comment

09 10