Monday, January 21, 2013

YW 2013 theme poster and wood block activity



This is a handout that I made for the Young Women using the youth theme for the year.
I wanted to signify that standing in holy places meant anywhere you are can be
a holy place.  So I went to the Church's site to see what they were doing.
This is their poster.
I love that she is in the wilderness which could signify the world but standing firmly on a rock, which I interpret to be Christ, our rock.  And she is looking up to her Heavenly Father for inspiration with a face of hope.  The other leaders and I agreed that this was a perfect expression of
how we saw the theme for the year.  
The issue was then to make it into a printable that would fit on a wood block
so that the girls could add it to their block from last year's theme (see here what we did).

So I did a little Photoshop magic and just used the graphic of the girl. Mine seems very similar to the Church's.  I used the same colors, just different lettering.
It's formatted for 6x7.5" to fit a 2x6 piece of wood.  The height is exact but the sides wrap around a little.
I cut and sanded the wood (next time I'll have Lowe's cut it for me.  My saw gave out towards the end).
The girls painted the wood then Modge Podged the handout to the wood.
We cut ribbon in the Personal Progress colors, tied a knot and hot glued to the front.
Some of the girls looked through my ribbon and found a rainbow ribbon to use instead.

We are also using this to put on the front of our binders for us and the girls.
You are welcome to use this for Church or personal use.

6 comments:

  1. This is perfect! Thank you so much for sharing it!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this and would like to make them with my Young Women. I can not figure out how to get your graphic. Is there anyway you can email it to me? momsmith10@yahoo.com Thanks!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would love to use this for a girls camp activity...do you mind? Will you email me the file? What type of paper did you print on? It is beautiful! :)

    My email is pmayes77@hotmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. I would love to use this also for a girls camp activity.... If you do not mind? Would you send me the file also? What kind of paper did you use? I absolutely love it! Thank you for sharing ! My email is dynomom@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks so much! I got the graphic off the YW site and just tweaked it for the block. The easiest way to get it is to right click on the picture then the pop-up will ask what you want to do. Just save it to your files and that's it. But I will email what I have if that is better. I used regular print paper so you just need a thin layer of Modge Podge, too much will make it soggy.

    Hope this helps!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I would love to use this and give it to my young women, but I was having problems downloading it. Can you please email it to me at donnamwynn@gmail.com Thank you so much. Donna Wynn

    ReplyDelete

09 10